Tomorrow I Graduate!
Written by Hannah Lyons
Hello everyone and welcome to another edition of ‘Inspired By’! Firstly, I should warn you; I’ve been a sobfest lately. Yet, I’m really excited (and also quite sad/nervous) to share on today’s topic. Today’s post is influenced by a personal and extremely close happening of mine – graduation! Yes, indeed, I’m walking the stage and receiving my diploma tomorrow afternoon. Crazy, right? Cue the waterworks. It’s been a heck of a 4-year college experience; from transferring schools (Baylor to Texas Tech University) to obtaining both a major (public relations) and minor (advertising), joining a sorority, and meeting the most incredible friends – I don’t regret anything. My journey through college has taught me so much about myself and I’ve gained so much independence. However, the fun must come to an end, and yes, indeed, everyone has to graduate.
Unfortunately, all things considered, this means it’s prime time for ‘adulting’. In case you’re unfamiliar with the term, Urban Dictionary defines the millennial word as “to do grown up things and hold responsibilities such as, a 9-5 job, a mortgage/rent, a car payment, or anything else that makes one think of grown-ups”. Talk about bleh (LOL). I kid, I kid. While I’d love to stay in college forever, I’m quite excited to see what my future has in store. Arguably, I’m also scared out of my wits…
So with that being said, in the case that you’re a soon to be college graduate like me, who may I add is also totally freaking out, I’ve got your back! This Friday, I’ve collected all the must-have items for the complete ‘adulting’ emergency kit. You definitely don’t want to miss this, so keep reading to see the details!
7 Things I’ve Learned Through ‘Adulting’
- Stop buying “bar clothes” and start purchasing basic business attire pieces (i.e., blazer, trousers, cocktail dress, black heels, bag). Trust me, 40 hours of the week, you’ll be working, and you can’t wear the same thing every day.
- Purchase proper travel items. The multiple bags and unmatching luggage aren’t going to cut it anymore. Invest in some quality and uniform pieces. Don’t forget to purchase a dependable passport holder; maybe even consider getting it monogrammed.
- It’s okay to not know what the h*** you’re doing. Not everyone graduates with the perfect job and home. Not everyone knows how to do taxes and take out loans. Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to purchase some self-help books, like this one.
- Buy yourself a planner. Please, I’m begging you. And actually, use it. It will save your life, I swear. Write everything down. Everything.
- Learn how to say ‘no.’ I’m still working on this one. It’s easy to overschedule yourself, especially when life gets busy and everyone seems to need you. Being able to say no can you save you from future stress.
- Invest in things you wouldn’t have necessarily thought about before, like matching bath towels. You’re no longer in college. House guests are going to judge you when you have cheetah hand towels and hot-pink bath towels, monogrammed from your dorm days… Yes, I’m writing from personal experience. Sigh.
- Stay true to yourself. It’s really easy to go on a path that everyone else wants for you, especially during a stressful time like graduating. Always remember to stay true to your heart and never stop putting your own well-being first.
Inspired By: ‘Adulting’ Emergency Kit + Graduation Gifts
The idea of adulting is quite terrifying, especially when you’re 22 years old and about to enter the “real world”. Nevertheless, it can be a whole lot easier when you have the right items. So, based on personal experience, I’ve rounded up items that will help jumpstart you into the adulting world. Additionally, I’ve added some perfect graduation gifts, that range from this book to this must-needed travel accessory. Happy shopping!
1 – Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know To Get It Together (Sort Of)| 2 – ‘She Believed She Could’ Cuff | 3 – Crock Pot | 4 – Ball Stud Earring Set | 5 – Bando ‘Your Future Looks Bright’ Journal | 6 – Herschel Supply Co. ‘Novel’ Duffel Bag | 7 – Conversation Dice | 8 – Topshop Kimi Loafer | 9 – Rails Colette Tie Neck Blouse | 10 – Longchamp Nylon Tote | 11 – ‘The Future is Female’ T-Shirt | 12 – Oh, The Places You’ll Go! Book | 13 – Bloom Daily Planner |14 – MAC Pink Lipstick – Lovelorn | 15 – Adrianna Papell Scalloped Crepe Sheath Dress |16 – J.Crew Campbell Trouser |17 – Apollo General Tool Set |18 – Tory Burch ‘Perry’ Wallet | 19 – Keurig K250 Single Serve | 20 – J. Crew Rhodes Blazer | 21 – Marc Fisher LTD ‘Zala’ Pump | 22 – Hydrocotton Hand Towel | 23 – Kate Spade Passport Holder
Have a Wonderful Weekend!
Finally, I hope you enjoyed today’s post as much as I enjoyed writing it. It’s a scary time for us graduates, but I have no doubt that the world is waiting for us to come out of our shells and make a difference! As always, have a wonderful weekend and sending positive vibes your way.
Graphic design by Ashley Cardoza