Written by Bella Bucchiotti
May 25th is National Wine Day so it seemed fitting to have a wine recipe to celebrate. However, who really needs a reason to open your favorite wine?
Sangria is a tasty Spanish beverage sweetened with wine (red, white or rosé) and loaded with fresh fruit. It is the perfect drink for all your summer parties, which are likely kicking off this weekend with Memorial Day! On a hot summer day, there’s nothing more refreshing than a nice cold glass of sangria.
The flavor variations that you can try with sangria are virtually endless. Look for fruit that is in season and locally sourced, as I find that always has the best flavor.
- 3 Grapefruits, thinly sliced
- 2 Limes, thinly sliced
- 2 Lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 Cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 Cup raspberries
- 1 Bottle of rosé
- 3 Cups grapefruit juice
- 1 Cup vodka
- Wash and prepare all the fruit and berries. Set aside. In order to make party prep easier, you can certainly do this ahead of time.
- Combine the wine, juice and vodka in a pitcher. Mix to combine.
- Add the prepared fruit and berries to the pitcher and mix well.
- The sangria should then be refrigerated, and you’ll want to add ice just before serving so that it does not get diluted. If desired, this can be prepared a day ahead.
Do you love sangria, too? If you’re also a fan of grapefruit, we really think you’ll enjoy this recipe. Indeed, it would be great to make for this weekend’s festivities. Let us know if you do make it and what you think of it in the comments below!