5 Minute DIY : Grapefruit Sugar Scrub
Written by Ashley Cardoza
Can you believe Mother’s Day is this weekend? I feel like every year I am scrambling to try to find a sweet gift for the mommas in my life. Homemade gifts are always sweet, but I’m not a fan of when they take too long. This DIY is so quick and easy, that even your kiddos can help make these for their grandmas (and if you’re a guy reading this, your baby momma would love this). It takes about 5 minutes, and you probably have all the ingredients in your house. This sugar scrub smells tasty, is a great moisturizing scrub, and is (almost) all natural!
What you need: (Makes 16oz of Grapefruit Sugar Scrub)
- 2 Cups of Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil
- 20 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Food Coloring (I used the tiniest drops of red and a smidge of yellow)
- 1 tsp Grapefruit Zest
- 2 Half Pint Mason Jars
- In a large glass mixing bowl, pour the sugar, coconut oil, and the tiniest bit of food coloring (a little bit of red makes it pink, so use it sparingly).
- Mix together using a rubber spatula until all the sugar is coated and the consistency is a paste.
- Add the 20 or so drops of essential oil and grapefruit zest.
- Mix well.
- Once you’ve reached desired color and consistency, divide into jars.
- Can be stored in the fridge or in the shower.
- Keep lid on to prevent drying out.
What I love about this little gift is that it can be personalized to any scent that you’d like! I am currently obsessed with all things grapefruit right now. I have a feeling I’ll be making a few more of these for myself. Some other essential oils I love are lavender (for relaxation), peppermint (invigorating), lemon (for that clean citrus smell), and of course unscented is just as good for those who are sensitive to smells.
What is your favorite scent for body scrubs? Do you have a scent you just can’t stand. I can’t do orange vanilla anymore for some reason. If you try this DIY, be sure to let us know! As well, make sure to check out the latest Inspired by post, as it is full of other fun gift ideas for mom!